Saturday, August 19, 2006

International Night Performance

Oh my goodness...that has got to be the worst I-night performance EVER! I cannot believe I played so poorly in front of all those international students. Or perhaps the students will never remember this; but on the other hand, the CAs (cultural assistances - my co-workers) are going to, and I'm going to be the butt of the joke for the longest time. Well, I'm often the butt of any jokes anyway. But wow...I don't think I'm ever going to play piano in public again, ever.

The feeling on stage when you play the piano and make mistakes is quite awful. When the piece starts, you are so happy that you got the first couple of bars correct; then the cheering comes because the audience recognizes the song and cheer for you; then you think "Oh man I can't screw this up!"; and then before you know it, your heart pounds and your fingers run, and uh-oh, mistakes fall like waterfall. Then you heard laughter, and you think it's probably the people laughing at you, and you feel worse, taking your confidence away. And then the next 3 minutes are the longest minutes in your life. Finally you have completed the piece. The audience cheers - pity cheers, of course, and you take your pity bow and go offstage. *Sigh* But one's got to move on; life is like a hockey game, and I am a hockey player: if I played a bad game, I've got to forget about it and move on. Yes people will pick on you for your mistakes, but you can just take it with a smile and laugh a little at yourself. Just don't do it again. You probably don't want to be the butt of the joke all the time and be known as the "loser".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, reminds me of the time i performed in front of the school and fell asleep for 2 seconds over the piano. the funny thing is my finger kept on going, so i woke up in the dim light thinking "wtf where am i i'm actually performing?!?!?!"

12:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home